The 74th annual AAABA Tournament single-elimination bracket was nearly complete after seven early games were completed on Wednesday, Aug. 8.
With the night game between Johnstown Martella’s Pharmacy and Buffalo-2 Full Circuit Power set for 7 p.m., the stage was set for four games to be played on Thursday. Tentatively, the slate included a tripleheader set at Sargent’s Stadium at the Point (10 a.m., 2 p.m., 7 p.m.) and one game at Roxbury Park (noon).
Wednesday’s schedule was shuffled in order to play three 10 a.m. games, one at 11 a.m., two at noon and another at 1 p.m. in order to avoid rains that were in the weather forecast. Fortunately, the rains held off until all play was finished heading into the night game.
- Wednesday’s morning and afternoon scores:
- Zanesville Junior Pioneers 9, Buffalo Bonnie Rams 7.
- New Orleans Boosters 14, Brooklyn-3 Youth Service League 4.
- Columbus Jets 17, Brooklyn-2 SAYO Grays 5.
- Philadelphia Bandits 18, Brooklyn Bonnie Rams 8 (7).
- New Brunswick Matrix 7, Maryland State Crabfest 4.
- Johnstown-2 Paul Carpenter Capital Advisors 14, Buffalo-3 Leibs 4 (7).
- Altoona Johnston Realty 14, Youngstown Creekside Crocodiles 4 (7).
New Brunswick won Pool A, with Zanesville as the No. 2 team in the pool.
New Orleans won Pool B, with Johnstown-2 Paul Carpenter the No. 2 team in the pool.
Altoona won Pool D, with Youngstown the No. 2 team in the pool.
The winner of the Martella’s Pharmacy vs. Buffalo-2 Full Circuit Power game will win Pool C, with the loser finishing as the No. 2 in the pool.
The winner of the Martella’s/Buffalo-2 Full Circuit Power game will play Youngstown Creekside Crocodiles.
The loser of the Martella’s/Buffalo-2 Full Circuit Power game will play Altoona Johnston Realty.
Thursday’s tentative schedule has Buffalo-2 Full Circuit Power playing at Point Stadium at 10 a.m.; New Brunwick will play Johnstown-2 Paul Carpenter at 2 p.m. at the Point; Martella’s Pharmacy will play at 7 p.m. at the Point.
New Orleans Boosters will play Zanesville Junior Pioneers at noon at Roxbury Park.
AAABA Tournament Chairman John Austin of Altoona noted the schedule could change due to weather conditions.