Luke Caple hit a solo home run over the left-field screen to cap a four-run, ninth-inning rally as the Cleveland Blaze beat Johnstown Martella’s Pharmacy 4-3 in front of an estimated 3,500 fans at Point Stadium on Wednesday night.
Martella’s Pharmacy took a 3-0 lead into the ninth after starter Shane Supanick pitched eight strong innings. The Blaze began its comeback in the ninth and then prevented Martella’s from tying the contest in the bottom of the frame.
The Blaze win finalized the two teams advancing out of Pool C. Brooklyn and Cleveland move on with 2-1 records.
Martella’s also finished 2-1 but lost on a tiebreaker.
Brooklyn earned the number one seed on the tiebreaker for fewest runs allowed. Cleveland won the head-to-head tiebreaker to eliminate Martella’s Pharmacy.
- Thursday’s schedule in the single-elimination bracket includes:
- Chicago Metro (2-1) vs. New Brunswick (3-0), Roxbury Park, 10 a.m.
- New Orleans (2-1) vs. Zanesville (1-2), Point Stadium, 11 a.m.
- Columbus (2-1) vs. Cleveland (2-1), Roxbury Park, 2 p.m.
- Johnstown Paul Carpenter Capital Advisors (2-1) vs. Brooklyn (2-1), Point Stadium, 6 p.m.